Whether an office, a hotel, a school or a factory, all organisations are legally required to provide a safe working environment for employees and visitors. Somerset Compliance Services is part of Somerset Electrical and Property Services Ltd. Providing organisations with a complete audit of health and safety policy and procedure.
Managing health and safety is an integral part of managing your business. You need to do a risk assessment to find out about the risks in your workplace, put appropriate measures in place to control them, and make sure they stay controlled.
Is your organisation compliant? We can help you audit your policy, procedure and risk assessments, as well as undertaking full installation, servicing and inspection of fire detection equipment.
To help prevent fire in the workplace, your risk assessment should identify what could cause a fire to start, substances that burn, and the people who may be at risk.
Once you have identified the risks, you can take appropriate action to control them.
• Carry out a fire safety risk assessment
• Keep sources of ignition and flammable substances apart
• Avoid accidental fires, eg make sure heaters cannot be knocked over
• Ensure good housekeeping at all times, eg avoid build-up of rubbish that could burn
• Consider how to detect fires and how to warn people quickly if they start, eg installing smoke alarms and fire alarms or bells
• Have the correct fire-fighting equipment for putting a fire out quickly
• Keep fire exits and escape routes clearly marked and unobstructed at all times
• Ensure your workers receive appropriate training on procedures they need to follow, including fire drills
• Review and update your risk assessment regularly